Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thai fish curry!

It's Mother's Day and my kids are working and/or doing their own thing far from me.  I did nothing last year but sit around waiting for a phone call that never came.  I did get an e-mail around 11pm saying, "Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I meant to call earlier but obviously that didn't happen.  Hope you didn't sit around being all mopey."  Me?  LOL

This year I decided that, absent someone to take me out to dinner, I would treat myself to something I would have eaten out at a fraction of the price - not to mention getting multiple meals out of a single recipe since I no longer have to deal with people who eat all day and night.  I bought some lovely frozen basa fish filets and some genuine Thai red curry paste along with some Asian eggplant and used the recipe on the back of the curry paste container.  It was a bit too salty for me but the high spice level and the rest of the sweet, sour and bitter flavors mellowed by the fish and veggies were great.  I made a mix of brown rice with some gorgeous black rice and used my good china for the first time in years and, by the time that call came, I already felt special.  :)  Plus, I have a delicious lunch and/or dinner already made for the next three days!

Ingredients

    Coconut milk, 13.5 oz


    Maesri Red Curry Paste, 4 tbsp (less if you don't like very spicy food)
    Fish sauce, 1.5 tbsp
    5 baby eggplants, roughly chopped
    Basa (fish) 5 fillets
Stir the curry paste into the coconut milk until mixed, about 4 minutes. Add the baby eggplant (and any other veggies you may like) and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until nearly soft. Add the fish filets and simmer, covered, until just cooked and flaky.

Makes 5 generous 1 cup servings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home