Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Simple Microwave Ratatouille

Rat-at-oo-eee. Sounds like a little kid shooting at an imaginary bad guy. It's really a savory French eggplant stew, full of herbs and garlic, which I've broken down for the time-challenged. It's not quite as good as a recipe that takes longer, but it's still tasty.

1 eggplant, diced
2 zucchini, diced
1 onion, diced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
2T Italian spice mix (oregano, basil, thyme)
salt to taste
pinch of sugar, if needed
1 small can stewed tomatoes
1 - 2 teaspoons of quinoa, optional

Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Microwave on HIGH, covered, 20 - 25 minutes or so, until the vegetables are tender. The quinoa can be sprinkled in the bottom of the dish before adding the rest of the ingredients and will add protein as well as make the final product less soupy.  If I'm not bringing it to a potluck, I add some crushed red pepper, too. This can also be cooked on the stovetop, if you have the time to look after it. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruby Louise said...

This is excellent timing....I have an eggplant roasting in the oven right now and I've been looking for something fun to do with it. Thanks!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home