Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Braised Pork Ribs from Rao's Neighborhood

This book, Rao's Recipes From the Neighborhood, is really getting a workout in my kitchen. Plus, I'm actually using those enormous packages of food they sell at our local warehouse store - a six-pound package of country pork ribs and a hundred-some ounce can of imported Italian tomatoes is enough for only two recipes and only yields leftovers sometimes, thanks to The Boy. The richness of the pork, the sweet acidity from the tomatoes and the freshness of the green beans together just taste like comfort.  Serve it with rice, pasta or potatoes, or a good loaf of Italian bread. The only ingredients not listed in the recipe title are garlic, salt and pepper and oregano.  It's one of those things that makes you wonder how something so simple to prepare could possibly taste so good.

Braised Pork Ribs with String Beans and Tomatoes
Serves 6

1½ lbs country-style pork ribs
(or 3 lbs boneless)
6 garlic cloves, smashed
56 oz imported plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
salt and pepper to taste
½ t oregano
1 lb string beans, trimmed

Braise ribs over medium-high heat. Add garlic when ribs are halfway browned. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer, covered, 2½ to 3 hours. In a separate pot, boil water and cook string beans for seven minutes, drain and rinse in cold water. When ribs are done, add string beans and heat through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home