Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Fruit Squares

I adapted this from a recipe I found in the newspaper many years ago. I originally cut it in half because I thought the full pan seemed like a lot for my needs. That was before I watched one person devour nearly the entire small batch in one sitting. Sweet, fruity and comforting, it's a great ending to a meal.  So, here it is. :)

1 banana, mashed or ½ cup applesauce
2 egg whites
2t vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
2t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ t cinnamon
3 apples, chopped
¼ cup sugar
1/8 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°. Beat banana or applesauce with egg, vanilla and sugars until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, and stir into sugar mixture. Fold in apples. Pour into 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Blend sugar with cinnamon and then sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake 30 minutes and cool on rack. Cut into 18 squares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home