Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Eggnog

I hit my Stumble! button and came to this website. Not my usual fare, to be sure, but I never knew how to make a real eggnog. This recipe seemed pretty straightforward so I cut-and-pasted it below, along with my substitutions and Mr. Morgenthaler's introduction. Now, if only I could come up with a substitute for the alcohol...

This is the recipe I devised. It can be made in just about any home or bar, since the ingredients are fairly simple. It can be done entirely in the blender, so there are no whisks or egg beaters or rubber spatulas needed. It yields two servings, so you can easily multiply it to serve more. I[t] doesn’t use a ton of heavy cream, so it’s fairly light. In other words, it’s practically perfect.

2 large eggs
3 oz granulated sugar
.25 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
2 oz whiskey or brandy
1 oz spiced rum
8 oz almond milk (originally whole milk)
2 oz more almond milk? (originally cream)

Beat eggs in blender for two minutes on medium speed. Slowly add sugar and blend for one additional minute. With blender still running, add nutmeg, whiskey or brandy, rum, milk and cream. Chill and serve in wine glasses, grating additional nutmeg on top just before serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home