Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

What's hummus?


I didn't think about this yesterday, but as surprising as it is to The Boy, not everyone knows what hummus is. My apologies.

The real deal is a middle-eastern spread made chiefly of chickpeas, a little lemon juice, a spoonful of tahini (sesame seed paste, which tastes a little like peanut butter and can be found in both the ethnic section of most supermarkets or the health food store, if you prefer), some olive oil and garlic. It is often scooped up with pita triangles (some people call it pocket bread) and is savory, spicy and light.

I have dubbed my totally inauthentic version
Hummus a Few Bars (it's my recipe and I can call it that if I want) because I add hot sauce and various veggies into the blender that have no business being there and The Boy has no idea.  He thinks when I dip veggies into it and he gets to use whole wheat pita, that he's getting away with something.  Never underestimate your mother. :)
It goes approximately like so:

2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic (we really like garlic)
2 cups chickpeas (canned, rinsed and drained or soaked and cooked from dry)
1 small zucchini
1 small carrot
6 or 7 sundried tomato halves packed in oil
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil (can use the stuff the tomatoes are packed in)
salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste

Prep the veggies to the specifications of your preferred appliance. Add everything to your food processor of choice and process until you're sure The Boy would see only a single homogenous color and texture. Which is not pretty, I have to say, so you really need to serve it in something pretty or in a pretty way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home