Cooking Without the Cow

I have a dairy allergy. I digest it well enough but it gives me a headache, which is not fun. I do use a little butter, especially in baking, because margarine scares me. Cheese is such a prevalent ingredient in even vegetarian offerings that I have had to experiment with different dishes to come up with some staples that will work for my family. I hope you enjoy them, too!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Smoothie Week


I've been thinking about making a food blog and a chat with a friend yesterday confirmed to me that it may be a good idea. She was amazed by the variety of sources I drew from for a recent meal and said I should document it. So, welcome to my crazy kitchen!

I'm no gourmet chef by any stretch of the imagination. I do what's simple, what's healthy and what (hopefully) tastes good, and with as few ingredients as possible. My teenaged son (from here on out known as The Boy) only enters the kitchen to eat, so it's all my responsibility after my full day at work and grocery shopping on the way home. In other words, it has to be easy and fast as well as healthy. Mostly, I fool around with various ethnic ingredients, none of them dairy, hence the name of the blog.

Entry number one: I've been on a Vita-Mix kick this week. Noisiest, most expensive blender on earth, but it will mash anything, and clean itself when you're done. Not terribly hungry for dinner lately, I made fruit/tofu smoothies almost all week - a cup or so of frozen fruit, a teaspoon of sugar to boost the taste, a block of silken tofu and enough soy milk to make it go. Yum!

Blueberry/banana smoothie on Monday (which The Boy said tasted like pita - that was a little scary), peach smoothie on Tuesday (he guessed strawberry. I guessed his taste buds were broken), fresh (not frozen, which may have been the problem) mango on Wednesday (which he hated and said it tasted like...garlic??? It did have an odd, metallic aftertaste, but not garlic), for variety I made my veggie-licious version of hummus on Thursday (no weird comments on that, since my hummus is already full of garlic and weird enough, with the addition of hot sauce, zucchini, carrots and sundried tomato, to get The Boy to eat veggies. The Vita-Mix makes it so smooth he can't pick out a single one) and today, he actually asked for a fruit smoothie for dinner! I made blueberry again - with no banana this time - and he didn't say anything strange except, "Blueberry again?". Hey, I can only fit so much fruit into the freezer at a time. I thought I did pretty well for variety. Good thing I bought that case of tofu last time I was at the Asian superstore, as I like to call it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home